NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC) — Plans to implement enhanced security measures for all commercial flights to the United States, will be implemented by July 18.
The Nassau Airport Development Company (NAD) confirmed plans in a statement on Tuesday and also called for travellers to the US to arrive an estimated three hours ahead of their departure times.
It also said that those travelling with electronics larger than a cell phone in carry on or checked luggage should expect more stringent screening measures.
This statement comes after an announcement by US Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly last month about enhanced security measures for international flights into the US.
“The Bahamas and 104 other countries globally are impacted by these new security measures. The enhanced security measures include but are not limited to: enhancing overall passenger screening; conducting heightened screening of personal electronic devices; increasing security protocols around aircraft and in passenger areas and deploying advanced technology, expanding canine screening, and establishing additional pre-clearance locations globally.”
The statement said the US Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration are working with local aviation stakeholders to ensure these enhanced security measures are fully implemented.”
NAD said it expects the majority of these changes at Lynden Pindling International Airport (LPIA) will fall under the purview of the Airport Authority (AA) and the airlines that service US destinations.
Last week, Minister of Tourism and Aviation Dionisio D'Aguilar said the government was considering a significant investment in the aviation industry as it looks to bring the country's airports in accordance with new security screening measures.