(CMC) GEORGETOWN– A Trinidad and Tobago trade mission is ending a two-day visit to Guyana yesterday with Minister of Business, Dominic Gaskin telling the representatives of the 24 companies that his country is open for business.
“We are open, we are ready and we mean business and that’s what we want you to take back from this trip. And to just to clarify when I say “we” I am including Guyana’s private sector because that’s who really does business in Guyana”, Gaskin said as he welcomed the visiting trade mission.
The mission is led by the Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce and includes representatives from companies engaged in information communications technology (ICT), real estate manufacturing, business support services, financial and education services among other sectors.
The organisers said the mission is aimed at fostering and building collaborative business relationships to promote the mutual growth and development of both Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries, through increased trade and commerce.
Gaskin said Guyana will observe and respect the provisions of the revised Treaty of Chaguaramus that governs the regional integration movement making reference to non–discrimination on the basis of nationality, and the rights of establishment, and provision of services.
“Guyana’s strong commitment to regional integration and the Caribbean Single Market and Economy (CSME), as well as our understanding of our obligation under the Treaty are manifested in the success and growth of many Trinidadian companies already in Guyana,” Gaskin said.
He said that the government supports the private sector when it comes to initiatives “such as this one” and will continue to fulfill the responsibilities as trade facilitators, and as regulators and upholders of the laws that govern and protect businesses.
He said visits such as these create linkages between the private sector of the two countries and “the confidence that the countries need to increase the levels of trade and investments within the CSME.
“We are confident that our economy can provide the kind of returns that can sustain the long- term operation of any well run business,”
Gaskin said, noting that Guyana is working to further improve its ranking on the International Index for conducting business.
He said that the government and the Ministry of Business have engaged the World Bank, which publishes the annual report, and are developing an Action Plan to tackle each of the “Doing business indicators.”
Gaskin said that once these indicators have been improved, they will transform the business environment in Guyana during the coming years and provide long-term economic benefits to businesses operating here. Guyana has advanced 16 places from 2015 to 2016 in “The Doing Business” Index.
The T&T Chamber of Commerce Facebook page has Guyana as one of the fastest growing economies in the Caribbean with enormous untapped potential.
(V. I. Consortium) ST. THOMAS — With competition from neighboring ports of call increasing, the focus of the second meeting of the Ports of the Virgin Islands, Charlotte Amalie Task Force held earlier this month, was on advancing plans to improve the experience for cruise ship passengers, according to the Dept. of Tourism, which made known details of the meeting in a release issued Wednesday.
At the heart of the matter, according to Governor Kenneth Mapp, is the need to re-engineer the Virgin Islands product and elevate the guest experience of the destination: “We are competing in a changing, dynamic environment and are in need of a complete shake-up of our business models,” Mr. Mapp said. “We need to develop not only what people want today, but also anticipate their future needs. The key is to respond to visitors even before they realize what they need. That’s what this task force is all about.”
Department of Property and Procurement Commissioner, Lloyd Bough Jr., reported that the deadline for submission of proposals to establish a harbor transportation service in the Charlotte Amalie Harbor had been extended to June 23 because of the strong interest in the contract, and because of the high volume of inquiries and questions the department had handled, including site visits by prospective bidders.
Task force members agreed with the need for the RFP process to allow for multiple operators, possibly operating vessels of varying sizes, and that the contract period should be extended beyond three years in light of the capital investment required. The evaluation and selection process is now expected to be complete by the end of August, contract execution by the end of October, and service possibly implemented by the end of the year.
(Reuters) Verizon Communications Inc said on Tuesday it closed its $4.48 billion acquisition of Yahoo Inc's core business and that Marissa Mayer, chief executive of the internet company, had resigned.
The No. 1 U.S. wireless operator is rebranding AOL and Yahoo as part of a new venture called Oath, led by AOL Chief Executive Tim Armstrong. Oath's more than 50 brands include HuffPost, TechCrunch and Tumblr.
The closing of the deal, announced in July, had been delayed as the companies assessed the fallout from two data breaches that Yahoo disclosed last year.
On June 16, Yahoo will be renamed as Altaba Inc, a holding company whose primary assets will be its 15.5 percent stake in Alibaba Group Holding Ltd and a 35.5 percent holding in Yahoo Japan Corp.
Thomas McInerney, a Yahoo board member, will become Altaba's chief executive officer.
(Reuters) Uber Technologies Inc director David Bonderman said on Tuesday that he has resigned from the company's board following a remark he made during an Uber staff meeting that was widely seen as offensive to women.
Bonderman's ill-timed remark came during an all-staff meeting Tuesday to discuss of how the ride-services company plans to transform itself following a probe into sexual harassment at the company.
Bonderman said in a statement sent to Reuters that he did not want his comments to create distraction for Uber, which is working to rid its culture of sexual harassment and discrimination.
His resignation from the board is effective Wednesday morning.
During Tuesday's meeting, Uber board member Arianna Huffington spoke to employees about the importance of adding more women to the board of directors.
(Barbados Today) The threat of dismissal was today placed over the heads of “thousands of public servants from the service” unless they shoulder the increased taxes announced in the recent Budget.
Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler has left no doubt about what action the Freundel Stuart administration was prepared to take if it were pressured by the unions to rescind the crippling increases to the National Social Responsibility Levy (NSRL), as well as the tax on foreign exchange transactions and increases to the excise duties on petrol.
The National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) is threatening industrial action if Government does not scrap the tax proposals or institute a “coping subsidy” for public servants until salary negotiations have been concluded.
However, Sinckler would have none of it, telling Barbados TODAY the choices were clear – the public servants must either accept the taxes or go home.
“I would say that if this really is the union’s position, it is as ill-advised as it is unfortunate at this time. I do not believe that the union leadership is oblivious to the fact that the alternatives to the measures which we introduced, including an increase in the NSRL, will be far more hurtful to public officers than what is proposed,” Sinckler said.